Women's Lacrosse Season Ends In NCAA Second Round

Women's Lacrosse Season Ends In NCAA Second Round

LANCASTER, Pa. - Franklin and Marshall's women's lacrosse team's season came to a close at Shadek Stadium on Sunday afternoon, as the team fell 13-5 to William Smith in the NCAA DIII Women's Lacrosse Lacrosse Championship Second Round. After taking a 2-1 lead at 24:52 in the first half, the Diplomats gave up 12 straight goals to fall at home to the Herons. With the loss, F&M fell to 7-1, 5-5 CC while William Smith improved to 10-4 and advanced to next week's regional semifinal against St. John Fisher.

It started out as planned for the Diplomats, with Kate McLam getting F&M on the board just two minutes and 17 seconds in the game. When William Smith tied it just over a minute later, Ally Marino struck back with 24:52 to play to put F&M back on top by one.

And suddenly, the Diplomat hopes became as dreary as the weather. The Herons answered just over two minutes later to tie it, then took advantage of a green card to find twine again just 54 seconds after that for a 3-2 edge. William Smith rattled off three consecutive free position goals for a 6-2 lead with 13:13 to play in the first. Another F&M miscue led to a man-up opportunity which the Herons converted, and two more free position chances were buried before the end of the half for a 9-2 halftime score.

The Herons scored four more to open the second half for a 13-2 lead, putting the game well in hand with a running clock for much of the stanza.

Megan Jackson rattled off a hat-trick in seven minutes of game time to claw the Diplomats a bit closer, but the damage had already been done in the 13-5 final score.

Just eight of 17 Diplomat shots were on goal, as an aggressive Heron defense kept the offense stymied for nearly 45 minutes of game time. F&M committed 21 turnovers on the afternoon as unforced errors on both ends led to nine free position shots for William Smith. The Herons converted on six of their first seven free position attempts in the first half, leading to much of the final margin of victory.

Megan Jackson led the way with her three second half goals, while Ally Marino picked up a goal and two assists. Erin Phillips picked up two ground balls, while Tabitha Rodriguez caused two turnovers with three draw controls. Blair Atkins and Marissa McGarrey also earned three draw controls on the afternoon. Emily Kitchin made eight saves in the cage.