Diplomats Advance To NCAA Final Four

Diplomats Advance To NCAA Final Four

Box Score

EWING, N.J. - No. 6 Franklin & Marshall dominated MIT 5-1 on Sunday afternoon, advancing to the NCAA DIII Field Hockey Final Four for the fourth time in program history.

The Diplomats improved to 19-3, while the Engineers dropped to 15-6. F&M will face a familiar foe at a familiar place in the semifinals, squaring off against Centennial Conference (CC) rival Johns Hopkins on Saturday, November 23rd at 11:00 a.m. at Spooky Nook Sports in Manheim, Pa.

The other side of the bracket features Middlebury and Salisbury at 2:00 p.m. The semifinal winners will play in the NCAA DIII Field Hockey Championship on Sunday, November 24th at 1:00 p.m. at Spooky Nook.

F&M got things started early, as Darby Klopp raced down the right flank off a restart and slid a pass to Erin Coverdale in the middle of the circle. Coverdale collected and flipped it past the keeper for a 1-0 lead just 3:13 into the game.

The Diplomats added another less than three minutes later, as Coverdale forced an MIT turnover in its own circle and fed a wide-open Lily Mynott at the near post. Mynott capitalized and put F&M up 2-0 at the 6:01 mark.

Mynott struck again in the second period, picking the pocket of an MIT defender and outracing two Engineers into the circle. The junior forward wristed her attempt inside the near post for a 3-0 advantage with 7:52 remaining in the half.

F&M tacked on a fourth in the third quarter, as a close-range shot from Coverdale rebounded right to the stick of Melissa Gula. Gula cracked her attempt into the left side of the netting for a 4-0 lead with 10:02 left in the third.

The final Diplomats tally started off a steal by Melissa Roper near midfield, who fed Mynott on the other side of the half. Mynott ran past one Engineer, deked another outside the circle, then laced a shot that took a deflection off the 'keeper and into the net. Mynott's third goal of the game and seventh of the NCAA Tournament iced the game for the Diplomats 2:02 into the final frame.

MIT added its lone goal on a penalty stroke with 7:48 remaining in the contest.

The Diplomats held the edge in shots 17-4 (11-2 on goal) and penalty corners at 9-6.