Please note: Information will be added to this page as it becomes available. (last updated July 31 at 3:00 p.m.)
Will there be athletic competitions at F&M in 2020-21? (Updated July 31)
- Competition during the fall semester is canceled. This includes all fall, winter and spring sports scheduled to compete before Jan. 1, 2021
- F&M will follow the NCAA Resocialization Guidelines for each sport as students return in the fall.
Will practices be permitted during the fall semester?
- Yes. Coaches are designing team practices in accordance with school, state, and CDC safety and compliance protocols for all sports including non-traditional spring practices and winter practices.
- All practices will follow the NCAA Resocialization Guidelines as well as state and local health guidelines.
- F&M activities comply with NCAA bylaws and existing waiver allowances.
Can fall student-athletes return to campus earlier than other students? (Updated July 31)
- No. There will be a staggered return for all F&M students, including student-athletes.
What will students need to do before they are able to practice?
- The Sports Medicine Department has already sent out information with links to the required paperwork.
- NCAA compliance and F&M paperwork will be sent in August.
How will practicing affect NCAA athletic eligibility? (Updated on July 9)
- Division III student-athletes will not be charged with participation for the 2020-21 season if their team can complete only 50% or less of the sport's maximum contests/dates of competition due to the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. (NCAA announced this waiver on July 9.)
- For Division III student-athletes that complete in only 50% or less of the sport's maximum contests/dates, they will also be given a two-semester relief on their athletic clocks. (NCAA announced this waiver on July 9.)
- For F&M's Division I student-athletes, the College will consider this on a case-by-case basis once classes begin.
If a student-athlete chooses to take the semester, or an entire year, off how will that affect their standing on the team?
- Students should make the best decision for their individual circumstance and we encourage all student-athletes to have conversations with their coaches.
Will students have access to the athletic training clinic and sports medicine staff?
- Yes, but access will be modified. More information will be shared later this summer.
Now that F&M has canceled all competitions in the 2020 Fall Semester, what are my enrollment options? (Updated July 31)
- F&M considers this change to be out of the student's control. If you have already chosen the on-campus option in the fall and these types of changes impact a student's decision to attend on-campus classes, F&M will allow them to appeal and make changes for the Fall 2020 semester. F&M encourages all students to reach out to their academic advisors and House Deans with questions concerning their academic progress and ability to attend class on campus.
What are the NCAA Resocialization Guidelines? Released on July 16. (Updated July 27)
- The NCAA recently updated their Resocialization Guidelines.
Any news on the 2020 Fall NCAA Championships in Division III? (Updated August 5th)
- The NCAA President's Council on August 5th decided to cancel the fall championships for 2020 and not reschedule them for the spring. The NCAA's official statement can be found here.
Has the College made a decision about competitions in the spring semester?
- A decision regarding returning to play for the spring semester will be made at a later date. F&M will work with the Centennial Conference to determine the feasibility of shifting competitions and championships to the spring semester.
Will athletic fields and facilities be open and available for training and recreation? (Updated July 21)
Yes. Facilities will be reopened in accordance with CDC and state guidelines.
The facilities will only be available to be used by professional staff, faculty, and students.
Unfortunately, alumni, retirees and family members of current employees will not be permitted to use the facilities at this time.
Currently, McGiness Pool is the only facility open for use.
The most up to date information can be found on the Athletic & Recreation Facility Page.
What about club sports? (Updated July 28)
- All club sport competitions for the Fall semester are canceled.
- Club teams will be permitted to practice and work out together as long as they are able to adhere to the following safety precautions and standards:
- Maintain a 6-foot distance at all times.
- Wear a mask on the sideline when not participating in the practice/work.
- All club sport teams will be required to submit a practice plan prior to their first practice.
Recreation & Intramurals
What about recreation and intramural activity?
- F&M values the need for fitness and recreational activities in relation to mental health.
- F&M is finalizing plans to offer both in-person and remote opportunities for recreational activities this fall.
- We are examining ways to enhance our typical recreational offerings in alignment with federal, state and county guidelines.
I have additional questions, whom should I contact?
- Contact coaches for sport-specific questions.
- Fill out this form for general questions.