The Kunkel Aquatic Center is the premier aquatic facility in the Mid-Atlantic region, and one of the most impressive facilities in all of Division III. It hosts championships at the collegiate, high school, and numerous age-group levels. The 21,200 square foot facility houses the 25-yard x 50-meter McGinness Pool with a 480-seat spectator gallery. It features two varsity locker rooms, two public locker rooms and has a state-of-the-art UV purification system that allows for lower chlorine levels in the pool. This results in better air quality and less impact to the swimmers from higher chlorine levels.
The 660,000-gallon McGinness Pool features 16 short-course (25yd) competition lanes and 21 short-course lanes overall and can be converted to run eight long-course (50m) lanes. McGinness has a dual pool timing system and a 16 lane scoreboard along with eight platform starting blocks that have track start footrests and auto-retracting backstroke wedges.
The pool is also available for recreational use by college students, faculty, and staff and has a zero-entry ramp for ease of access.
The Kunkel Aquatic Center was built in 1995 as part of the Alumni Sports & Fitness building. The center is named in honor of the John Cain Kunkel Foundation and the Kunkle Family. McGinness Pool is named for George McGinness, the legendary F&M swimming coach who led the men’s program for more than three decades beginning in 1947 and developed the first women's varsity team in 1974.
Prior to 1995, the F&M swimming teams competed in Fackenthal Pool, which opened in 1931 near the center of campus and has since been incorporated into the Roschel Performing Arts Center.